Ask the Property Sharing Expert
By Karen English Lettings Manager at Hennings Moir a Property Sharing Agent
Letting Advice for Landlords- Choosing the right agent
The growth in the Lettings market has led to an expansion in the number of agents offering Lettings services. So what should Landlords look for when choosing an agent?
- Expert Knowledge – new regulations seem to appear almost daily. It is important the Letting agent you choose gets regular training and is knowledgeable about legislation. It is also important they pass this knowledge on to you.
- Honest Advice – Be careful about agents who overprice the rent just to get your business. The rent lost for an extra month or two to find a tenant will not be recovered and you may also be liable for council tax during this period. Choose an agent that gives you honest advice, can offer comparable evidence and knows their local market.
- Going the extra mile – Letting agents should give you advice on the right type of property to buy, the rental returns you can achieve and many will even view property on your behalf.
- Don’t be fooled by cheap fees – remember being a Landlord is a business and the old adage you pay peanuts you get monkeys is never truer.
- Watch out for hidden extras – some letting agents have a whole raft of hidden extras make sure you are comparing like for like services when comparing agents.
- Be comfortable – you will probably have a long relationship with your letting agent. Make sure you feel comfortable with them and confident they will deliver a great service not just today but possibly for years to come.
Karen English is the Lettings Manager at Hennings Moir in Saltash. She has many years experience in the Lettings Market in Saltash South East Cornwall and Plymouth. She can be contacted on 01752 850440 www.henningsmoir.com